Thursday, May 8, 2008

Fire in the Hole

Some routine spring maintenance recently put a Cape Cod boater in the hospital with third-degree burns.

Matthew Name of Provincetown, Massachusetts, was cleaning out the bilge area of his 30-footer when sparks from the battery ignited gas fumes. Although the resulting explosion caused serious burns to his hands, face and chest, the 39-year-old was able to get out of the boat, which was dry-docked, and stumble for help.

An employee of the Northside Marina in East Dennis heard the explosion and saw Name emerge from the burning boat. He called police and administered first aid. A flight-for-life helicopter later transported the injured boater to Boston. Police said he was in good condition.

The accident serves as a cautionary tale for boaters: Proper ventilation is critical to any area on your boat where fumes can accumulate.

No comments: