Thursday, June 26, 2008

Captivated by Cape May

Living in New Jersey means I have more than 100 miles of coastline to enjoy. And I definitely enjoyed myself last weekend along the state's southernmost coastline: Cape May. I took the photo above during HarborFest, a celebration of the city's proximity to and relationship with the sea. As you can see, there were plenty of booths, and of course there was plenty of seafood. (I'm still waxing poetic to friends and family about the scallop wrap I had for lunch there. Three words: to die for.) The evening before I arrived, there was even a blessing-of-the-waters ceremony and a rededication of a beautiful memorial to local fishermen who've been lost at sea.

A lot of the activity during HarborFest took place in and around the Nature Center, which offered everything from hands-on learning exhibits for kids to eco-kayak tours. And coincidentally, a big group of Sea Ray owners were enjoying a rendezvous at South Jersey Marina, just a few blocks away, so they mixed and mingled with the rest of us.

Look for more information about Cape May in my story appearing in our December issue's special destinations section.

No comments: